Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 large butternut squash
3 large red onions
12 cloves garlic
3 T olive oil
2 T dried rosemary
2 T dried thyme
3-4 cups vegetable broth (I only needed 3 cups – one whole carton)
2 T balsamic vinegar
- Poke squash with a fork in several places. Place on a baking pan and bake for 70 minutes in a preheated 400 degree oven. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place onions in bowl and toss with the olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Add garlic cloves to the baking pan and roast garlic and onions for an additional 20 minutes or when golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cut squash in half and remove seeds. Scoop out squash with a spoon and place in a bowl.
- Using a blender or a food processor; blend the squash, onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, vinegar and broth in small batches (unless you have a larger blender/processor). The large basin of my Ninja blender was able to handle all of it at once.
- Pour into a pot to rewarm on the stove.
- Serves 8 – This soup freezes very well.
If you’re following the Weight Watcher plan, one serving is 4 PointsPlus.