Southern Peanut Soup
3 tablespoons butter
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
3-4 cups hot chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
Juice of 1/2 – 1 lime (to taste)
1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium low heat, add onions, celery and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes, until onions become translucent.
2. Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Whisk flour into the onion mixture, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the hot chicken stock. Turn the heat up to medium. While stirring, cook 5 minutes until moderately thickened.
4. Whisk in the heavy cream and peanut butter, heat the soup through but do not bring to a boil.
5. Stir in the lime juice.
6. Serve with optional toppings such as chopped toasted peanuts, scallions, cilantro, cayenne or hot sauce. This soup is also delicious served chilled
Recipe provided by:
Southern Peanut Growers:
Established in 1980, Southern Peanut Growers is a non-profit trade association representing peanut farmers in Georgia, Alabama, Florida and Mississippi. The organization educates American consumers about the U.S. peanut industry and its products.
Share Your Thoughts